Saturday, May 31, 2014

Birth Story

Ok, finally a few minutes of down time to fill everyone in on Khloe's exciting birth story!
We were scheduled for an induction on Friday the 30th at 8am but Khloe had other plans for us. Wednesday night at 11:30 I woke and had to use the restroom,  while getting out of bed my water broke. I wasn't entirely sure that's what it was though and I thought "Oh my gosh!! I just peed myself!!" Well i got all cleaned up and started having contractions, after a few contractions my water REALLY broke. You know, the whole gush of water like you see in the movies.
So I woke AJ and we took Brooklynn to Aunt Peggy and headed to the hospital. We arrived at Christ at 12:40 and after initial evaluation they admitted me because I was in active labor. The contractions were very intense and painful, all in my back so I decided that even though I had hoped to go unmediated I would be much better off with an epidural. I let my nurse know and she said they would call for it as soon as we finished admitting and got an iv placed.
Fast forward to 2:45, it's finally time for my epidural and the contractions have gotten unbearable.  The epidural is finally placed and they let me known it will take about 20 minutes or so for it to take effect. So I'm trying to pep talk myself, "20 minutes? You got this!!" Immediately after placing the epidural nurse checks and I'm 6cm. Not even 5 minutes later I am feeling the most incredible pressure ever.  I tell the nurse I HAVE to push! She checks me again and I'm 10cm and Khloe is crowning!!
One nurse called my doctor to tell her it's go time and the other paged the resident on call to come deliver. Thank God she was right down the hall because as soon as she walked in the room I started pushing.  2 pushes later Khloe was born at 3:06am. She weighed 7lbs 6oz and was 20.25 inches long.
Her labor was fast and hard, and I got the epidural placed for nothing because it didn't even have a chance to take effect. I felt absolutely everything and it was very painful, but I'm really proud of myself! I technically got my unmediated childbirth, not in the traditional way, but it happened nevertheless! 
Khloe was taken to the special care nursery for constant monitoring because of her heart and we are still waiting on official results of her cardiac evaluation. However, her cardiologist is pleased with how well she is doing so they are allowing her to be discharged today with me. We just have to be extra mindful and watch for certain things.  So far she is feeding really well and keeping her weight up.
Please continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers,  our journey is just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment